Case Study: GPS Schools Cross Country Championships 2021
Originally requesting drone coverage of their school cross country championships, we eventually opted for a motorbike-based mobile camera rig that would allow us to stream the race directly to the whole school community with minimal delay.
This event livestream incorporated:
- 4G video stream from the motorbike cam
- Roaming wireless event camera to capture the start and finish
- Static additional camera angles
- Leaderboard graphics with live timing data
- Clean music feed & ambient microphone pickup from the event hub
- Vision mixed live and streamed to Cluch.TV
The custom-made motorbike rig enabled us to carry a camera operator with a ready-rig harness system. Mounted to the harness was a full cinema-style camera with 3 motor stabilising gimbal.
A 4G unit attached to the camera allowed us to encode and send the video feed directly back to the vision mixing desk where it is decoded and vision mixed with all of the other camera angles and graphic overlays.
A roaming camera utilised a high-quality Teradek wireless transmission system to send a video feed back to the desk from anywhere in the event precinct.
We made use of our UHF radio units and earpieces for the continuous ability to relay messages back and forth between vision mixing desk and the cameras in the field.